Related to my previous post about British habits I have I thought I’d share some things I really like about the UK (in comparison to Finland).
1. Free healthcare and free prescriptions (in Wales). It has to be mentioned first. (And no, you UKIP voters I did not move here to abuse the NHS, I actually only found out about it being free when I ended up in an emergency surgery and asked about the bill. The looks I got were worth seeing!).
2. Primark. It has got to be on the list. For any basic clothing stuff you need you can always rely on Primark. If I needed cheap basic things in Finland I would have gone to H&M. In Wales now, I’d go to H&M if I felt like I wanted to splash out and buy something fancier 😀
3. Things like food and alcohol are very affordable which means even a student can easily eat out.
4. There’s always a cheaper option or a cheaper shop for everything as well. Things in general are cheaper and from groceries to makeup you can always find cheap options if you were skint (like a student).
5. Home delivery on groceries. I just had a little look to see if we do it in Finland and apparently some shops do but the delivery charges are ridiculous. I hate going grocery shopping and I love that you can get your food delivered to your door for a pound.
6. Runners nod and smile to each other more often than not. I tried that in Finland and the people looked terrified and quickly faced away from me.
7. People’s friendliness and talkativeness. I enjoy the small talk and how you can just end up having very random conversations with people you don’t know.
8. The weather. Well. It’s kind of a love-hate relationship. It’s not the greatest, but at least you don’t get the freezing cold that you do in Finland, which means I can run throughout the winter without having to worry about freezing to death or slipping on the icy roads. (But I do think this would also end up on my “things I don’t like about Wales”)
9. Living in the “hub”. I feel like I live close to everything. I know I don’t live in London and this is an island we live on but still somehow I feel like I’m well connected to most places and everything is accessible (at least from London).
10. MALTESERS! I love them! And believe it or not, they don’t sell them in Finland.
There’s my list and it might not hold true to the whole of UK but that’s my opinions from Wales anyway.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
P.S. I’m racing my first 10k tomorrow with a very sore knee. Wish me luck!